The excavations carried out in 1953-1954 to the south-western end of the ancient city brought to light two stretches of walls built in the late Antiquity and, behind these, three outdoor areas.
• Warehouse and markets: nearby the first christian basilica built by the bishop Teodoro there was a functional complex composed by a huge warehouse and three small paved areas. The warehouse was demolished during the eighteenth century: it was 20 meters tall and its central courtyard was surrounded by simple structures where the merchants exposed their goods. Here, some small market structures used for trade during the late Roman Empire (4th-5th centuries AD) have been recognized. The close connection with the course of River Natiso once flowing nearby is witnessed by openings in the city walls. It is clear that some docks were located here to supply the traders working in the markets.
• Markets: only two of the three areas held to have been market quarters are now visible. The eastern site is arranged around an open area, provided with a well and water drains to the north. The square blocks with through holes bounding the district may have been used to hold the wooden supports of some roofing structure hanging above the trading space. The western site, on the other hand, while featuring a similar central courtyard, used to be bounded on all sides by arcades, which were used to shelter the workshops. Some thirty amphorae were found buried in one of the workshops and they still contained some partially burnt grains of wheat.
• Wall: The double row of walls now visible in Fondo Pasqualis belongs to the Late Empire (4th century AD), when the city was provided with a new defensive belt, which coincided with the course of River Natiso in this spot. The innermost row of walls, which is three metres wide, was built with abundant materials coming from buildings demolished elsewhere in the city. A rectangular non-jutting tower was found connected to the wall but buried again after being searched. The outer thinner row was probably added to serve as a rampart reinforcement to the inner walls, most likely in the mid-5th century.